Tuesday, February 28, 2012

To The Past, Thank You For My Future

RKJ_0656-F%252528ZF-7225-56845-2-001%252529-2012-02-28-00-24.jpg

I didn’t want to let Black History Month pass by without saying THANK YOU to those that have come before me and enabled my life to have so many possibilities. The photo above is of a statue at Ole Miss of James Meredith. James Meredith was the first African American to attend the University and without the sacrifice he made, my years at the University could have been a lot different if they were to exist at all.

It’s easy to look at where I am now and think all is okay now, but it’s not. There are still miles that have to be walked in this country before any of us can say there is true equality and opportunity. I see it every day but I recognize it for what it is and continue to walk because I know it is still changing.

I purchased a print copy of the photo above and digital rights that allow me to re-post it because I was given the opportunity to have James Meredith sign it for me. I am sad I could not be there to thank him in person, but I am proud that I will have this personal piece of history to hang next to my degree.

For this and other photos of the University grounds and events, visit Brand Photography Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment