Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Remaking of the T-Shirt

After cutting into some t-shirts to make my version of the barn throw from Maya’s Reinvention book, I was left with quite a few left overs and no idea of what to do with them. I decided to try my hand at making a scarf. You could consider this a variation on Maya’s story scarf. I used an acrylic cutting template to cut out the squares, ensuring I had roughly the same size throughout and went about piecing them together.

This was by no means quick as each scarf is about 7 feet long, but the end product made the labor worth it. I use snippets of pictures from the t-shirts as accents which adds a nice amount of wimpy to the scarves. I had enough pieces to make two scarves.

I was worried about how to finish the scarf, but after finding long strips of muslin in my stash that were the perfect size, I decided to use that as the backing. I treated it like a pillow case and top stitched the edges for a nice and neat finish.

100_2339-2012-05-29-17-08.JPG

100_2341-2012-05-29-17-08.JPG

They are heavy enough to be perfect early fall/spring scarves and the color combination will blend them with a number of outfits but I think they will stand out best with jeans and a nice crisp white shirt.

100_2340-2012-05-29-17-08.JPGIMAG0171-2012-05-29-17-08.jpg

I haven’t decided what to do with these yet. I have more scarves in my collection than I need at the moment so these may become starter pieces in re-opening my long forgotten Etsy shop. I’ll have to think about it some more. Needless to say, future t-shirts to my closet will meet the same fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment